How much do you really know about Alternative or Holistic Dog health Care?
"Finally, All the Information You Need
Right now for just
A comprehensive guide to Dog Health Care, Dog Training and Dog Recipes
to help you care for and pamper you beloved pet.
More information for all Dog lovers
The Top Dogs’ Top Health Problems Part 2
There are several dogs considered popular by the various kennel clubs and associations around the world. In Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, the lists of canines have both similarities and differences. Part 1 of this article looked at 3 breeds found on all 3 lists and their common health problems. This was the Labrador Retriever, the Golden Retriever and the German Shepherd. This article continues to provide the same information on 3 more breeds. In this case, it is the Boxer, the Poodle and the Yorkshire Terrier.
Top Dogs - Boxer
The Boxer is a lively, loyal canine. It is loving in nature. A medium-sized dog, he or she requires lots of exercise on a daily basis. There are a number of health issues connected to this dog. They include the following.
• Skin cancer, e.g., histiocytoma
• Skin problems, e.g., atopy dermatitis, cutaneous asthenia
• Heart problems such as aortic stenosis, dilated cardiopathy, atrial septal
• Sinus infections, e.g., dermoid sinus
• Breathing difficulties
• Canine hip dysplasia (CHD)
• Thyroid disease, e.g., hypothyroidism
• Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
• Other eye problems, e.g., corneal dystrophy, Harderian gland prolapse (Cherry Eye)
• Bloat - gastric dilation volvulus (GDV)
• Histiocytic ulcerative colitis - inflammatory bowel disease
• Pyloric stenosis - stomach
• Invertebral disk disease
This is a highly trainable canine. Poodles are intelligent. They require moderate activity.
Poodles are poor kennel dogs. They may also be antisocial if not properly raised. Poodles are also subject to the following health issues.
• Addison’s disease - or hypoadrenocorticism. This is insufficient production of adrenal hormones.
• Bloat or gastric tension
• Cushing’s Disease - overproduction of cortisone by the adrenal glands
• Legg-Calves’-Perthes’ disease (LCP) - vascular necrosis of the femoral neck and head
• Sebaceous amenities - a skin problem
• Luxations patellas - slipped knee caps
• von Willebrand’s disease - a blood disorder
• Heart disease, e.g., Mitral valve disease
• Optic nerve hypoplasia
• Chronic active hepatitis
• Entropion - inward turning eyelashes
The diminutive Yorkie is small but scrappy. This feisty little dog requires moderate activity. Yorkshire Terriers are courageous and assertive. They may be demanding and domineering if not properly socialized. Common health problems include
• Legg-Perthes disease - femoral issues
• Patella luxation - slipping knees
• Portosystemic shunt - liver shunt
• Eye problems, e.g., cataracts, PRA and dry eye
• Collapsing trachea - common among small breeds
• Bladder stones
• Cushings Disease - overproduction of cortisone
• Renal failure
The Beagle is friendly, even-tempered and happy. These small dogs require regular exercise.
They are energetic and alert. They are also prone to the following health problems.
• Cleft Palate
• skin problems, e.g., demodectic mange
• congenital heart disease
• genetic eye diseases e.g. glaucoma, cataracts
• Luxating patellas
Shih Tzus are small friendly canines. They are playful, loyal and amazingly independent.
They require regular exercise. Shih Tzus suffer from the following health issues.
• Eye problems, e.g., Harderian gland prolapse (Cherry eye)
• von Willebrand’s disease - a bleeding disorder
• Nose problems, e.g., stenotic nares
• Kidney problems, e.g., Renal cortical hypoplasia, renal dysplasia
• Patellar luxation
• cleft Palate
• Invertebral disc disease - back problem
There are specific health issues with dog breeds. There are also commonalities among some breeds in terms of health problems. When purchasing a pure breed, be sure to know what are the possible problems. Check with the breeders’ clubs to help locate breeders who are providing healthy dogs. Those who are working to reduce the possible health problems in their breed.
Ads By CbproAds